February 21 Investigation
We would like to share the information in as much detail as possible surrounding the social media threat on February 21, 2017. This is an ongoing investigation. Specific details may not be available or should come from law enforcement.
- The message below was posted on social media Tuesday evening. Concerned parents and students began contacting school administrators and law enforcement shortly after 9:00 p.m.
- Ozark School District and law enforcement began investigating immediately.
- In the early morning hours of Wednesday, February 22, 2017, law enforcement identified and made contact with the author of the post.
- Law enforcement determined this threat was not credible; however, needed more time to investigate all leads surrounding the incident.
- School administration made the decision to cancel school on Wednesday, February 22, 2017, in order to provide law enforcement time to continue their investigation.
- By Wednesday morning, law enforcement investigated their leads surrounding the incident and determined there were no credible threats to student or staff safety.
- Law enforcement, in conjunction with Ozark School District, held a press conference to provide an update to the investigation and indicated to the public there were no credible threats.
- Based on law enforcement's investigation, Ozark School District administration determined school would be back in session on Thursday, February 23.
- Ozark School District faculty and staff received a letter and talking points explaining the incident and how to address the situation with students.
- Ozark parents received a letter explaining our steps going forward.
Ozark School District is grateful for the support from parents as we worked through this situation. Although the social media post made no specific threats, the District and law enforcement took the warning seriously and wanted to ensure student safety. There have been many rumors surrounding the nature of the post. Please be assured the above social media post was the only threat we received.